State Lead - Katie Kasubaski
Advocacy Coordinator - Kimberlee Coronado
Education Coordinator - Kari Baumann
Planning Coordinator - Susan Garcia Franz
Marketing Coordinator - Lisa Martin
Decoding Dyslexia WI is led by a group of volunteers we call the DDWI Organizing Committee. Our DDWI Organizing Committee meets every second Thursday of the month via zoom. We encourage members to contact us via email with questions or inquiries about becoming more actively involved: email@example.com
Decoding Dyslexia – Wisconsin (DDWI) is a statewide parent-led grassroots community of concerned individuals working to advance literacy and the acknowledgement of dyslexia through relationship and capacity building, co-learning, and strategic action
Our vision is to raise awareness, empower families to support their children, and share information with legislators about best practices to identify, educate and support dyslexic students and those struggling with reading in Wisconsin.
OUR MISSION: To support families of dyslexic students and struggling readers by sharing resources and strategies which are helpful (and supported by research). We believe every child must learn to read so they can reach their full potential.
1. Build and sustain a statewide community with a focus on dyslexia awareness and improved reading throughout the state.
2. Be a vehicle for change to improve access to opportunities for dyslexic children and adults within our communities.
GOALS and OBJECTIVES:
1. Increase community awareness of dyslexia by empowering and supporting our DDWI membership throughout Wisconsin
2. Create an alliance of parents, teachers and other literacy groups to pass dyslexia legislation
3. Partner with other literacy groups to promote dyslexia awareness in underserved WI communities
4. Promote resources and tools for use by communities, families, and individuals
5. Promote the collection of, access to and analysis of statewide reading data from 4k -12 th grade
First dyslexia legislation (AB110) https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2019/proposals/ab110 became Act 86 https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2019/related/acts/86.pdf when it was signed into law on February 5, 2020 creates a Dyslexia Guidebook
4,400 Facebook followers
over 700 WI members
regular local coffee chats/support groups throughout WI